Once the active period of alignment is completed, the braces are removed and retainers are made to hold teeth in their new positions while the gums, bones, etc. settle into “their” new positions. As children continue to grow, their facial structure may also change. If so, a retainer can be used to keep the teeth in alignment during this growth period. For adults, their facial structure also changes as they age and a retainer can be worn to keep the teeth aligned.
You must wear your retainer(s) faithfully as teeth continue to move and shift throughout life as the tissues supporting them change. Retainers that are in the mouth will not be lost or broken (or eaten by animals wild or domestic).
Care of your Retainers is very vital to ensure long lasting retainers When brushing your removable retainer you are to only use cold water and hand soap. You can also use a denture cleaning tablet and soak it in luke warm water. Always keep your retainer in the case when you are not wearing it, pets, especially dogs, will eat it. Please be very careful with the care of your retainers, as they are an important aspect of orthodontic treatment. Like other personal items, retainers may also wear over time. Replacing a worn retainer is a wise investment in caring for your smile!
- The retainers should be worn faithfully, following our instructions.
- The retainer’s plastic taste will disappear quickly, and your speech will return to normal after a few days.
- Soreness will leave in a few days, even after an adjustment. If you have a localized sore spot after three or four days, call us for an appointment.
- Don’t flip the retainer with your tongue. This could damage your teeth and retainers.
- Clean the retainer by brushing them with toothpaste and occasionally cleaning them with denture cleaner, using warm (not hot) water.
- Whenever they are not in your mouth, keep the retainers in the case given to you (not wrapped in paper napkins or in your pocket).
- Keep your retainers away from pets. For some reason, dogs love them!
- Bring your retainers to every appointment.
Dr. Reddy was very informative and personal with her approach. This was my consultation. She explained in detail what needed to be done NOW and how treatment would affect me in the long run. I look forward to seeing her in the very near future as she helps me get my smile back!
I really appreciate the time that the doctor took to explain everything to me. Most dentists are in a rush to get to the next patient. I am so happy that we were referred to her.
Dr. Reddy has been my Orthodontist for 4 years now. She is very patient, professional and thorough. Her staff is like a family. They are always friendly and smile all the time. The name of this practice fits everyone in the office. Great job All Smiles Orthodontics! I highly recommend this practice to all my friends and family.